Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cheesy Egg Dish

From: Grandma Brumund

Last night, Mark mentioned that he would love some kind of egg casserole for breakfast in the morning. There is a staple recipe I turn to when I get a request like this, and that is my Grandma Brumund's cheesy egg dish. I use this recipe a lot...but mostly around the holidays. My mother used to make this every morning for Christmas. When this dish bakes in the oven, the aroma brings me back to all of my Christmas memories!

Cheesy egg dish after baking!
So...this morning we had "Christmas in August".

Ingredients:
4 slices of bread
Butter
4 eggs
2 C milk
1 T yellow mustard
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t salt
1 C sharp cheddar cheese

Directions: Butter both sides of the 4 slices of bread, and cut into squares. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, yellow mustard, pepper and salt. Add the bread and cheddar cheese. Place in a 8x8 casserole dish, cover, and refrigerate overnight. The following morning, take the casserole and set it on the counter for an hour. Once the hour is up, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Note: You can add any other "omelete" ingredients too! I like using cooked sausage and spinach, which I add on top of the casserole before placing it in the refrigerator at night.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hi Chrissy! I made this and it was fabulous! we actually added some cinnamon to the top and it was so tasty! Thank you!