Sunday, August 1, 2010

My inspiration

Grandma Finch
Before I go any further, I thought I would give credit where credit is due. I have many people in my life who are inspirations, but there is one person who inspires me to bake. Every time I pull out a recipe, add ingredients, place the item in the oven, and see the final product, I think of her. I feel her presence with me when I bake, and it is so great! Maybe that is why baking brings me such peace. Who is this woman you ask?

My Grandma Finch.

She passed away in '94 of cancer. She was a beautiful woman, inside and out. When she lived with us for a short period of time, I noticed she was always a mover and shaker. Whether it be her obsessive habit of making sure everything was spic and span or her desire to bake, she always was doing something.

I think about the times she would come over when we were little, and always bring something sweet. For some reason, something about her goodies were unique and full of flavor. If it was baked by her, you would know. It seemed like no one could match her.

I like to joke a lot about the reason why her desserts were so unique. My family and I say, "We know it is from Grandma Finch because the butter absorbed the cigarettes she smoked." I guess we got used to the cigarette flavor! Ha-ha.

But in all seriousness, she is my inspiration for baking. I love her and miss her dearly.

No comments: