Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cloth Diapers

I never thought I would say this. Honestly. But here it goes...
I am planning on using cloth diapers for my child.
And no, you aren't reading that wrong.

Call me crazy or call me the "Poopy Queen" but I have officially become obsessed with the "Fluffy" movement. However, besides being an over-the-top recycler, I really haven't done my fare share of being "green." I drive an SUV, use paper products, and additives are loaded into my shampoos, and food for that matter!

Gro-Via AI2: the first addition to my stash.
So my reasoning for cloth diapers, you ask? 
  1. The money. You can't go wrong here. The price of disposable diapers these days are ridiculous. We are going to be saving so much more in the long run. So far I have spent about $400 on cloth diapers, and that will most likely last my child throughout his entire diapering stage. Considering 100 disposables run you at around $40.00, the choice is obvious!
  2. The cute factor. How can you resist a colored/printed pattern? Cloth diapers are no longer your pre-folds with a white plastic bag shell around your baby. There are many options available from pre-folds with cute color and printed shells to a one size shell with a snap in soaker.  Also, now-a-days they have biodegradable soakers that are disposable that go into the one size shells! This makes cloth diapering on the go so convenient!
  3. I know, I said I wasn't a "green" person, but I never said I didn't like to help my environment along the way! Cloth diapers are better for our environment. The energy it costs to make disposables plus the time it takes for a disposable to "dispose" (around 200 years) is astonishing. Cloth diapers imprint on our planet is WAY less!

So I say to all of you, CHECK IT OUT!
My favorite websites for various cloth diapes are these:
www.greenmountaindiapers.com
www.kellyscloset.com

And for cloth resources I love the BabyCenter board!
http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a16235/cloth_diapering

I will be posting in a few days about my stash and it's contents - including the laundry detergent. For now, I hope I at least got you thinking.

Talk to you soon!

No comments: