Friday, July 30, 2010

The "must-know" pie crust

When I am baking a pie, no matter what the guts consist of, I always use a "Must-know" pie crust recipe. Before beginning with making the dough, I found that there are staple baking tools that need to be used. For pie crusts, it would be a cloth pastry sheet and a rolling pin with a cloth cover. These days, most places only offer the silicone sheets, but I find that they are awful. Hidden in Bed Bath and Beyond, you will find a cloth pastry sheet. I found one, and you will too! From now on, when I refer to "pie crust" in my blog, it will refer to this recipe.

"Must-know" pie crust
2 C flour
1 T sugar
Touch of salt
3/4 C Butter Crisco
1 Egg yolk
1/4 C milk

Directions: Combine ingredients in a mixer using the dough hook until they are well bonded into a dough consistency (you may need to hand-knead a little). Lay down the pastry sheet and flour the sheet to prevent sticking. Take half the dough and place it on the pastry sheet (you can freeze the other half for another pie). Roll into a pie shape with your cloth covered rolling pin. Once the pie crust is thin enough, take a 9" pie pan and place it upside down onto the dough. Flip the pastry cloth with the dough and pie pan over. Roll down the edges of the dough and pinch the sides with your thumb and pointer finger on one side of the dough, and your other pointer finger on the other side, pinching the dough. Poke holes into the dough with a knife before placing filling inside. Depending on the pie, whatever remainder of the dough I have left after making the pie crust, I like to roll it out again and use cookie cutters to create shapes for the top of the pie.

Enjoy! (Note: I will update with pictures the next time I create this dough)

No comments: